It’s Easter weekend, which must mean it’s time for WonderCon to spring up again in Southern California. This is its first (and possibly only?) time at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Downtown LA, but it’s the fifth year for the con in Southern California.
What’s new this weekend in the big move to LA? Let’s take a look.
Registration & Badge Pickup
Saturday and 3-day badges have been sold out for a few weeks, but Friday and Sunday passes are still available. They’re only sold online, so be sure to buy yours before heading downtown. Expect WonderCon to fully sell out before the weekend is through.
Badge pickup begins today – right now! – at the Los Angeles Convention Center in West Hall. Badge pickup hours are:
Thursday, March 24: 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM (3-Day and Friday badge pick-up only)
Friday, March 25: 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Saturday, March 26: 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Sunday, March 27: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
WonderCon is testing new RFID badges, which will also be used for the first time at San Diego Comic-Con later this year. Here’s a first look at the RFID on exhibitor badges:
Remember to tap your RFID badge at the “gates” when entering and exiting. Here’s a sample of what the gates will look like:
You’ll want to see our post on Going Metro, which also includes tips on parking, the free WonderCon shuttle and other transportation options.
Once again, here’s our Google Map of the area including the Convention Center layout, WonderCon shuttle routes, parking, Metro stations, and walking directions:
Saturday is the most popular day for costume group meetups. Due to location issues and a few run-ins with security last fall at Comikaze, most have not nailed down a meeting location yet. We’ll update when they do!
A sampling of weekend events:
- Marvel cosplay meetup & group photo shoot: Saturday, 5:30pm on the outside steps in vicinity of L.A. Live Way and W. Pico Blvd near the South Hall (see Facebook event for a map)
- DC cosplay meetup & group photo shoot: 2:00pm Saturday at the stairs at South Hall entrance behind the weapons check booth
- Doctor Who cosplay meetup & group photo shoot: 3:00pm Saturday at the stairs at South Hall entrance behind the weapons check booth
- Game of Thrones cosplay meetup & group photo shoot: 3:30pm Saturday on the grass area in front of West Hall (near shuttle drop off)
- Geek Girl Brunch: 6:00pm Saturday; RSVP required
- Disney cosplay meetup & group photo shoot: 2:00pm Sunday on the stairs to the left in the South Hall lobby
- Easter Egg Hunt: 1:00pm Sunday in the West Hall entrance lobby
- The Composers: Today’s Greatest Superheroes of Music, 12:30pm, Room 515B
- CBLDF: Comics Censorship in 2016, 2:30pm, Room 502A
- Futurecasting and Timeline Salad wins for best panel title. 3:00pm, Room 151
- Hitmakers: From Script to Screen, 3:00pm, Room 408AB
- Spotlight on Annie Wu with a live art demo. 4:00pm, Room 515A
- Streaming Success: Behind the Scenes of Your Favorite Binge-Worthy Shows, 5:30pm, Room 515B
- Not Your Sidekick: Heroes of Color Take Center Stage, 7:00pm, Room 502B
- Star Wars and Fandom in the ’70s, 7:00pm, Room 151
- WonderCourt: The Trial of Ben Grimm which is this year’s Friday night sketch/improv comedy show. Be prepared to lose your voice laughing. 8:00pm, Room 502B
- Quick Draw! Unmissable at Comic-Con, unmissable here. Watch talented artists try to out-draw one another right before your eyes. (My mom once called it “terrible,” because she laughed so hard she almost split open her surgical staples. Also, my mom is the kind of person who goes to Comic-Con right after a surgery, but that’s another story. Anyway, what an endorsement!) 10:30am, Room 403AB
- Drawing Action, for you aspiring artists. 11:30am, Room 152
- Millennium Falcon, X-Wings, and TIE Fighters: Creating the VFX for The Force Awakens, 2:30pm, Room 152
- Cartoon Voices, in which voice actors do a live read. 4:30pm, Room 403AB
- World Premiere and Q&A: The Giant’s Dream, the documentary on Brad Bird’s first feature The Iron Giant. 5:30pm, Room 403AB
- Inside the Writers’ Room: Pilots, Production and Post, Oh My, 6:00pm, Room 151
- 12th Annual WonderCon Masquerade. If you do anything else with your Saturday night, you’re doing it wrong. The Comic-Con Masquerade you know and love, on an ever-so-slightly smaller scale, in a room you can actually get a seat in. Doors 7:45pm, Program 8:30pm, Microsoft Theater
- Comedy in Comics, 11:30am, Room 152
- The 100 Special Video Presentation and Q&A. The 100 recently had a bit of an implosion, when they killed off a popular character and didn’t respond well to the fan criticism. Don’t worry if you don’t watch the show: read Mo Ryan’s article on Variety about it, then pop some popcorn and settle into this trainwreck. Showrunner Jason Rothenberg is scheduled to be on the panel and Q&A is in the title; this might get ugly. 12:15pm, Microsoft Theater
- Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is the traditional end to WonderCon and the sister tradition to the closing sing-along at Comic-Con, where the musical episode of Buffy is screened. 3:00pm, Room 151
- Starship Smackdown: Trek vs. Wars is exactly the kind of thing people think goes on at a comic convention: a bunch of nerds in a room arguing over who would win in a battle. 3:30pm, Room 403AB
Top 10 Most Popular Panels
These are the ten most popular panels on Sched, the social scheduling service WonderCon uses, as of Thursday at noon. Plan ahead for crowds.
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Saturday, 2:00pm, Room 408AB
- New Line/Warner Bros. Pictures Presents, Saturday, 12:00pm, Microsoft Theater
- AMC’s Preacher Series Premiere Screening and Panel, Friday, 8:00pm, Room 408AB
- The Nerdist Panel with Chris Hardwick, Sunday, 11:00am, Microsoft Theater
- DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Special Video Presentation and Q&A, Sunday, 1:30pm, Microsoft Theater
- World Premiere: Justice League vs. Teen Titans, Saturday, 2:30pm, Microsoft Theater
- Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion’s Con Man Comics series: Spectrum!, Saturday, 1:15pm, Microsoft Theater
- 12th Annual WonderCon Masquerade, Saturday, 8:30pm (doors at 7:45pm), Microsoft Theater
- Bob’s Burgers, Friday, 4:00pm, Room 408AB
- iZombie Special Video Presentation and Q&A, Friday, 4:30pm, Microsoft Theater
While the Microsoft Theater has plenty of seating, they will be requiring bag checks and using metal detectors: give yourself extra time to enter.
Estimated Room Capacities
Note that these are all estimated based on rough numbers provided by the Los Angeles Convention Center, JW Marriott, and Microsoft Theater; actual seat counts vary based on room arrangement, especially in the Microsoft Theater.
WonderCon 2016: Program Room Capacities
|518 (Kids' Film Fest)||250|
Here’s a peek at setup inside the convention center today:
Will we be seeing you in Los Angeles this weekend? What are you looking forward to at WonderCon? Let us know below!