Gallifrey One is packed with fantastic events, but the fans in attendance don’t stop at the official schedule: there are a huge number of fan-organized meetups, field trips, parties, and events. We’ve compiled a list of all the fan-run get togethers happening this weekend that are open to all.
Wednesday, February 11
- Kickstart your Gallifrey One weekend with fellow attendees at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar, the tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel. Free parking at Downtown Disney for up to 3 hours. Note that Trader Sam’s serves food and non-alcoholic drinks as well, but is 21+ after 8pm.
#gally1 friends! We're doing a pre-gally meet-up at the Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel at 6 p.m. Wednesday. All are welcome!
— Robin Burks (@sunriserobin) February 8, 2015
- Get a semi-permanent souvenir on Wednesday night at “Salon Trenzalore,” a room party where attendee Caitlin Teasdale will dye your hair TARDIS blue free of charge. (This is permanent color, but there will also be temporary color available.) Caitlin also graciously offers to re-open the “salon” later in the weekend, schedule permitting. Bonus: glorious pun in the event name.
Thursday, February 12
- Meet in the Marriott lobby at 9am Thursday to spend the day before Gally riding the coasters at Knotts.
- Join other early arrivers for a Thursday field trip to the AMPAS movie costume exhibit. Tickets are $20.
- Johanna Mead kindly hosts a sobriety check-in Thursday afternoon. Watch for the signs in the lobby. Update: this check-in will be from 6 – 7pm Thursday; contact Johanna directly for the location.
- The now-legendary In-N-Out Burger run will be Thursday night, meeting in the Marriott lobby at 6pm. Expect around 40 fans to descend upon the LAX In-N-Out to enjoy California’s greatest dining experience and to get a special In-N-Out themed ribbon from Roberta! Additional details on GallifreyBase.
- Sacramento-area fan group SacWho will have a series of meetups throughout the weekend, beginning Thursday night.
1) During Lobby Con – Thursday, February 12th, 2015.
2) Friday night around 7 pm. Marriot Lobby – attend the big evening Event together.
3) Meet up by the circular sofa in the middle of the lobby.
3) Saturday Night right after the Masquerade
4) Sunday for Breakfast
Friday, February 13
- Members of the Doctor Who Cosplay LiveJournal community are hosting their annual “Pond Paradox” Amy Pond cosplayers meetup on Friday at 2pm near the pool; join the LiveJournal community to RSVP with what cosplay you’ll be wearing.
- Osgood cosplayers will also meet at 2pm in the Marriott Lobby. Update: there’s now a Facebook event for all your RSVP-related needs.
- Hannibal fans will be gathering in the lobby, near the hallway between the Starbucks and Latitude 33, at 7:30pm Friday.
- This one’s actually an official convention event on the evening schedule for Friday, but there is a separate Facebook page with more details:
7:30pm Friday in Program E; Facebook Event RSVP
Do you belong to or organize a Doctor Who fan club? Would you like to learn more about joining or starting one? Join us on Friday night at 7:30 in Program E Gallifrey One for fun ice breaker games with other fans, a prize drawing, and an exclusive ribbon (for the first 100 people). You’ll also receive information on how to join or start a fan club in your area. All are welcome!
Are you the organizer of a fan club? Contact Amanda Blackburn (Event Host) for information on how your group can take part.
Groups currently taking part include The Real Time Lords of Orange County, Time Meddlers of Los Angeles, Allons-Y Los Angeles, San Diego The Doctor Who & Other Cool Shows/Movies Meetup, Doctor Whovians in SF Bay Area, Mile High Who, Doctor Who Fans Unite – Texas, and Order of Gallifrey.
Schedule: 7:30-7:50 Sign in, pick up fan club materials, ice breaker game with other attendees; 7:50-8:20 Roundtable Q&A with fan club organizers; 8:20-8:30 Drawing for Doctor Who prizes.
- 80s-era Who cosplayers (Doctors 5, 6, and 7 plus companions) can meet for a group photo on Friday evening after the Classic Companion Panel, at roughly 7:30pm outside Program A.
- As previously mentioned on ConShark, the Torchwood 4 Cabal will be hosting their annual cocktail party in their pool suite, Room 110, at 9pm Friday. There will be custom specialty cocktails available for those 21+ and non-alcoholic beverages for all. You are encouraged to come dressed for the theme, An Evening on the Orient Express.
Saturday, February 14
- River Song cosplayers are planning to meet on Saturday at 12:30pm near the pool, with a volunteer photographer.
- Cosplayers coming as any incarnation of The Master or Missy should meet up with their counterparts at 1pm Saturday near the pool. RSVP on Facebook.
- Be a part of the unofficial group photo Saturday night at midnight, following the Masquerade. Meet at the back wall furthest from the stairs, noted on the map as the Red Carpet Zone and denoted on the floor by the photo backdrop. Thanks to 12-year Gally veteran Tim Davis, @HandsomeTimmyD, for organizing.
Sunday, February 15
- Work on your craft projects – whether that’s knitting, crocheting, or anything else – at a stitch & bitch meetup on Sunday afternoon from 2pm – 4pm in the lobby.
- The Real Time Lords of Orange County will have their annual post-Gallifrey One dinner Sunday evening; all members are invited. You can join TRTLoOC on Meetup.com.
These meetups have no set date or time, but a potential organizer has expressed interest in setting one up if there are any interested parties.
- Jeamie on GallifreyBase is interested in a LGBTQA meetup; contact her on GallifreyBase if you’d like to attend.
- A Super Smash Bros. tournament meetup is in the planning stages, tentatively scheduled for Friday afternoon.
- Finally, Shawna is looking for anyone from the ASL community who might want to meet during Gally – you can contact Shawna on Facebook if you’re interested.
Whatever you do at Gallifrey One this weekend, we hope you’re spending it with friends new and old – and we look forward to seeing you on Friday!
Are you having a meetup at Gallifrey One you’d like included here? Let us know!