Welcome back to our weekly news feature where we boil down the week’s news from the convention circuit plus share our calendar of the weekend’s upcoming conventions.
- It’s Gallifrey One weekend! One of our favorite cons of the year returns for its 26th incarnation, and we’ll be covering it here on the blog and on our Twitter, @ConSharkNews, providing the hotel wifi and cell signal allow.
- Monocle Alert: Ticket pricing has been announced for the inaugural official Sherlock (BBC) convention, set for April 24 – 26, 2015 in London – with prices starting at £29.00 for a single day pass all the way up to £2995.00 for the VIP pass. No, that is not a typo.
- A follow up on the previously-discussed controversy regarding Adam Baldwin’s invitation as a guest to Australia’s Supanova conventions: Supanova has officially confirmed that Baldwin will be a guest at their Sydney and Perth shows later this year. Supanova naturally expects Baldwin’s fans – and their customers, no less – to be thrilled; anyone opposed, well… Supanova just won’t be having any of that: “Supanova will not allow questions regarding the subject from the floor.”
- On the other hand, this week Supanova very publicly banned a convicted sex offender who “specialises in ‘cosplay’ shoots” from their shows, as did other Aussie cons Oz Comic Con, Cosplay Live, and AVCon.
- San Diego Comic-Con Masquerade rules & regulations are now available, and the application period is now open. New for this year is a huge advantage the Masquerade participants truly deserve: cosplayers accepted into the Masquerade will be able to buy a badge even if they are shut out of open registration; winners in any of the Comic-Con awards categories (not the corporate sponsor awards) will also receive a 4-day pass to Comic-Con 2016. An offer like this has long been requested by costumers, who have found the Masquerade competiton lacking in recent years due to serious cosplayers being unable to buy a ticket.
- Here’s a call for participants that you don’t see everyday: Phoenix Comicon is having an open call for moderators. Typically convention panel moderators are either invited guests or the person who proposed the panel; if you’re interested in trying your hand at the moderating game, auditions are Saturday. (Don’t be fooled: moderating is hard work!)
— Phoenix Comicon (@PhoenixComicon) February 9, 2015
- It’s Toy Fair weekend! Since this is an industry tradeshow and therefore not open to the public, it’s not included on our convention calendar. But collectors should keep their eyes peeled this weekend for news on what will be the next big exclusive at SDCC, NYCC, and everywhere resellers sell their wares.
- Lucasfilm knows how to throw a party, so they’re sharing the Star Wars Celebration love and taking it beyond the convention: both the LA Dodgers and the Anaheim Angels will host special “Star Wars Nights.” The Dodgers play the Seattle Mariners on April 14 and will offer “a ticket in the All-You-Can-Eat Right Field Pavilion or Infield Reserve and a voucher redeemable for a Star Wars item.” The Angels play the Oakland A’s on April 20, but no details on their Star Wars promotion are available at this time.
- Legion of Sand totally has you covered this weekend for Amazing Arizona Comic Con, starting with this handy map to keep you from getting lost within the maze that is the Phoenix Convention Center.
The phoenix convention center can be a bit confusing, here is a handy map to where find Amazing Arizona Comic Con pic.twitter.com/HXpSm2NmYk
— Legion of Sand (@LegionofSand) February 4, 2015
- WonderCon Anaheim exhibitor/artist’s alley/small press confirmations were sent out this week, and exhibitors got a first look at the new show floor layout – one exhibitor shared the layout map here. Artist’s Alley is now on the other side of the convention center while gaming has moved from the far back to the far left of Hall D – and artists have noticed that they’ll be missing their usual cohorts in Small Press, which is now on the opposite side of the show floor from Artist’s Alley. Check out which of your favorite creators will be vending!
Oh wow. Artists Alley looks super far from Small Press this year! (WonderCon)
— Jessie Velociraptor (@jessiesarah) February 12, 2015
— Nilah Magruder (@nilaffle) February 11, 2015
— Matt Doering (@mattdoering) February 11, 2015
— Jessie Velociraptor (@jessiesarah) February 11, 2015
— supahcute (@supahcute) February 11, 2015
Got my wondercon table placement! Artist alley B-49 right next to the lovely @gabbyzapata I'm getting nervous now. I'm not ready!
— Katya Bowser (@K_Bowser_Wowzer) February 11, 2015
Did we miss something? Tip us!
What’s Happening This Week (Wednesday, February 11 – Tuesday, February 17)
Organizers: hosting a con soon? Fans: want to help get the word out about your favorite event? Contact us to have it added to the calendar.[ai1ec events_limit=”12″]