Welcome back to our weekly news feature where we boil down the week’s news from the convention circuit plus share our calendar of the weekend’s upcoming conventions.
This week, another acquisition: FanExpo parent company Informa Exhibitions is now the owner of MegaCon, rumored last week and officially announced just days before their annual Orlando event this weekend. This is not the first time MegaCon’s ownership has changed hands, but current owner Beth Widera will stay on with the show. Similar to ReedPOP’s parent Reed Exhibitions, Informa is a massive trade show organizer with events and offices all around the world. It seems larger convention companies are finally catching up with the incredible growth of the geek convention industry as well as the huge buying power the attendees bring.
MegaCon 2015 goes on as planned this weekend, April 10 – 12, at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL.
- WonderCon is moving from Anaheim to Los Angeles next year, as we discussed in our recap of last weekend’s WonderCon Talk Back panel.
- Continuing their week of big news, Comic-Con announced a partnership with Lionsgate to create a subscription video-on-demand service. We’ll discuss this in depth next week.
- Norwescon is in need of a new music lead, as well as several other new positions in their music department.
- SDCC, eat your heart out: even geeky races need registration waiting rooms now. The 2nd annual runDisney Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend opened for registration on Tuesday and introduced thousands of runners to the Active.com queue, which at least tells you your estimated wait time and how many people are in front of you in line. The Captain America 10k and Infinity Gauntlet Challenge (running both the 10k and the half marathon) sold out in a few hours; as of Friday, the 5k is nearly sold out and the titular event, the half marathon, is 72% full. Active.com has previously mentioned that the Avengers races are runDisney’s fastest-selling event, although sales this year are slower than 2014.
- Following their acquisition by ReedPOP, Emerald City Comicon announced that their 2016 show will expand to four days, slated for April 7 – 10, 2016.
- It was announced at last weekend’s Nerdist panel at WonderCon that the geek conglomerate will be taking over the entire first level of Petco Park during Comic-Con this year.
- Meanwhile, the fate of Nerd HQ, which has previously occupied a chunk of Petco during SDCC, is still up the air: Con Man producer PJ Haarsma mentioned that Nerd HQ can now only book panelists that also have a panel next door at Comic-Con, and that the Nerd HQ panel must take place after their Comic-Con panel. For their part, Nerd HQ has promised an update soon, and sounds devoted to making an event happen this year.
- Dragon Con is now accepting applications for DJs for their Night at the Aquarium. Attendees will have the chance to vote for their favorite DJ.
- TwitchCon tickets go on sale today at 2pm Pacific; early bird pricing is in effect until April 24. A full weekend pass will run $75 during the early bird promotion and will increase to $85 after April 24.
- The Her Universe fashion show is set to return to San Diego Comic-Con on Friday, July 9 again at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. Interested designers have until April 22 to send in their submissions.
- Not a good sign for future SDCC off-site parades and events: the woman who was injured in last summer’s Zombie Walk hit and run has not only filed suit against the driver, she’s also going after the city – arguing, as the driver has, that the event should have required permits and street closures.
- Gallifrey One has postponed their ticket sales by a few days to 10am Pacific on May 4, and hotel reservations will open one week later at noon on May 11.
- Comics Alliance has re-published their guide to asking questions at a panel, which is one of those I-can’t-believe-we-have-to-say-this-but-please-read-it kind of situations.
Did we miss something? Tip us!
What’s Happening This Week (Wednesday, April 8 – Tuesday, April 14)
Organizers: hosting a con soon? Fans: want to help get the word out about your favorite event? Contact us to have it added to the calendar.[ai1ec post_id=”1454,2057,2064,2070,2065,2063,2071,2062,2068,2069,2067,2066,2059,2072,2060,2061,2058″]