It’s C2E2 weekend! The Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, or C2E2 as literally everyone calls it, is upon us once again in the Windy City. It’s a big three-day weekend of comic-focused pop culture and we’re excited to cover it all for you!
Tickets are still available, but prices go up at midnight – so grab ’em while you can!
Make sure you’ve downloaded the C2E2 app – it’s a great resource and will automatically update with changes throughout the weekend.
Here’s a preview of what the weekend has in store:
Happening tonight (right now!) from 6pm-10pm at the Adler Planetarium, it’s the official C2E2 Pre-Party! Tickets are $70 and include live music, food, exclusive swag, raffle prizes, and a cash bar (their event partner is Revolution Brewing). 21+
If you’re out in the burbs, Aw Yeah comics is having a pre-party too! Tonight from 7pm-11pm, the free event will feature food, drink and merriment: “We’ll take care of the catering, the decorations, the bar, and the music, you just bring yourselves.” 21+
The con has a big list of exclusives available here. A few fun ones to note, and some freebies:
comiXology Submit is the Artist Alley sponsor and as such are giving away limited edition posters, with a different one available each day. 500 pieces available daily at the comiXology Submit tables in AA. Will also have t-shirt and Kindle Fire giveaways at their panels.
- Diamond Select Toys will unveil their new Minimates (and a new booth, at #817). Free posters will be given away at the booth throughout the weekend.
- Christopher Jones will give you a free signed mini-print if you show that you follow him on Facebook & Twitter.
- Anne Kirn of House of Darkly has an adorable Party Bat plush as her C2E2 exclusive.
Plus our friends at Con*Quest Journals have a few debuts & exclusives:
— ConQuest Journals (@Quest_Journals) April 21, 2015
A few panel highlights for the weekend:
- Making Comics: Behind the Scenes
Fri. April 24| 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM | Room S405a
- Unmasking the Hero
Fri. April 24| 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM | Main Stage – S406
- Gallows Humor: Authors on Making Light During the Darkest Scenes
Fri. April 24| 5:15 PM – 6:15 PM | Room S401
- “Other Space” Screening and Q&A with Paul Feig, Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu
Sat. April 25| 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM | Room S401
- Improvising for TV, Film & Animation with The WorkJuice Players of Thrilling Adventure Hour
Sat. April 25| 11:15 AM – 12:15 PM | Room S404
- MARVEL: Next Big Thing
Sat. April 25| 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM | Room S401
- [adult swim] Presents: The Williams Street Panel, Featuring Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever, Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell, Squidbillies & Too Many Cooks
Sat. April 25| 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM | Main Stage – S406
- C2E2 Crown Championships of Cosplay
Sat. April 25| 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM | Main Stage – S406 (Satellite Theater in Room S401)
- Farewell to Fables
Sun. April 26| 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM | Room S403
- Nerdist Comics Panel
Sun. April 26| 1:15 PM – 2:15 PM | Room S403
- Young Gotham
Sun. April 26| 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM | Room S401
C2E2 has, unlike most other shows, gotten with the times and realized cosplay group meetups are a huge thing. So they’re hosting them, officially, in the Cospitality Lounge. Check the site for the schedule. The Lounge will also feature a costume repair station.
A few additional fan-run meetups:
- DC Universe. Saturday, 12pm, meet at the Hyatt stairs (possible re-location for rain).
- Marvel Universe. Sunday, 12pm, meet at the Hyatt stairs.
Local Specials & Deals
C2E2 is probably the biggest geek con in Chicago – Wizard World passes through, as do quite a few corporate-run single subject cons. But most of those are held out in the suburb of Rosemont. C2E2 is actually held just south of the loop, at McCormick Place. So it makes sense that a lot of local businesses want to get in on the action! Here are some of the specials & deals available this weekend.
- Revolution Brewing: Galaxy Hero custom IPA with a “raygun blast of hops” created for C2E2, paired with the Galaxy Burger (pork marinated in Tang, powdered bacon shallot rings, “Black Hole Bun” colored black with squid ink and topped with sesame seeds). [Chicagoist]
- Chuck’s: A Kerry Simon Kitchen: Iron Chef Burger (sharp cheddar, red onion jam); lunch special with Galaxy Hero IPA, $14; dinner special with Galaxy Hero IPA and a double burger, $26. [Chicagoist]
- Dimo’s (Wrigleyville & Wicker Park locations): “Too Many Cooks” pizza (Doritos, Combos, chicken nuggets, Ecto-Cooler sauce, spicy Pop Rocks). Good luck with this one, folks. [Chicagoist]
- Hyatt Regency McCormick Place M/X and POI bars: offering a superhero themed drinks, and food:
- The Hero (Jameson with Apple Pucker, Sweet & Sour and Lemonade)
- The Villian (Peach Schnapps & Jack Daniels, Sweet & Sour, Pineapple Juice)
- The Secret Identity (Blue Moon beer and Amaretto)
- Damsel in Distress (Amaretto and Ketel One topped with Cranberry and Orange Juice)
- Unstoppable Force (Bacardi, Brandy, Orange Juice and Sweet & Sour)
- The Double Cross (Ketel One, Amaretto, Club Soda)
- Cebrewski (Beer of your choice with Bacardi Limon) [Chicagoist] [Eater]
- No specials announced, just generally geeky spots:
Some free, some paid, some corporate, some fan-run – all fun! Don’t let the close of the show floor be the end of your night!
- Friday, 7:00pm: A Fearless Festival #1 hosted by Fearless Radio at 2341 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60616. Tickets $25, include beverages. 18+. Costume contest & live music.
- Friday, 8:00pm: AfterCon Off-Kilter Cosplay Carousal by Glitter Guild Burlesque at She-Nannigans House of Beer. Tickets $15. Burlesque performances, cosplay contest, “insta-cosplay” competition (build a costume from provided materials), performances by Acrobatica Infiniti Circus, raffle prizes
- Friday, 8:00pm: Geek Bar Beta C2E2 Afterparty at Geek Bar Beta. Free. Beer specials, cosplay hair chalk/temp color, cosplay contest, raffle prizes, free lanyards for first 20 people in line, screening of “Interstellar,” 10% total bill all night if you come in costume or in pajamas.
- Friday, 10:00pm: The Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents The WorkJuice Improv Experience at 1st Ward at The Chop Shop. Tickets $25. 21+. Live improv comedy from the WorkJuice Players and guests Scott Adsit, Timothy Omundson, and John Ross Bowie.
- Saturday, 6:00pm: Super Hero/Villain Charity Crawl [C2E2 Afterparty] at Reggies, Kroll’s South Loop, The Weather Mark Tavern, and Flo & Santos. Tickets $10, all proceeds to Reading with Pictures. A cosplay bar crawl with drink specials, and live music.
- Saturday, 7:00pm: Sonicboombox C2E2 Afterparty at Threadless HQ. Tickets $10, portion of proceeds to CBLDF. 21+. Admission includes drink samples from Revolution Brewing, Geek Bar Beta, and Red Bull. Live DJ, Loot Crate & Threadless giveaways, video gaming, live music. $20 Uber code “UberOnChi15” available (don’t drink & drive, folks).
- Saturday, 7:00pm: A Fearless Festival #2 hosted by Fearless Radio at 2341 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60616. Tickets $25, include beverages. 18+. Costume contest & live music.
- Saturday, 9:00pm: Aw Yeah Comics Presents The Aw Yeah Live Art Jam at the Grant Park Room at the Hyatt Conference Center (Hyatt Regency McCormick Place). Benefitting the Hero Initiative. DJ and cash bar. Artists: Mike Norton, Art Baltazar, Franco, Kurt Wood, Mark Waid, Christina Blanch.
- Saturday, 10:00pm: The Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents POW! Sparks Nevada Live at 1st Ward at The Chop Shop. Tickets $28. 21+. A brand new live Sparks Nevada show with Marc Evan Jackson, Mark Gagliardi, Scott Adsit, Timothy Omundson, and John Ross Bowie.
- Saturday, 11:00pm: Cards After Dark at The Cards Against Humanity Theater. Tickets $5 (sold out). A comedy show hosted by Cards Against Humanity and featuring Patrick Rothfuss, The Nerdologues, Improvised Star Trek, and Improvised RPG LA.
Will we be seeing you in Chicago this weekend? Let us know what you’re looking forward to at C2E2!